Saturday, July 28, 2001

Passing Along Bribes in Sacramento


When it came time to take the 3-day long California Bar Exam, I set out for... where else but Sacramento, where I neither live nor work. Why? Because (at least at the time) California allowed only 100 people in each of the three locations offered take the bar exam on their laptops. Since I type much faster (and much more clearly) than I write, this was a natural choice and well worth the additional fee. And with all the law schools and people in the other two locations offered for laptop users - San Diego and Los Angeles, I figured my best shot was Sacramento. As it turns out, I got the laptop exam at the Sacramento location. And away I went.

A good friend who was in law school at McGeorge (UOP's law school) at the time offered to let me stay with her and even kept me company in the evenings, when we set out to find the best Sacramento had to offer. It was really nice to be able to stay with a friendly face instead of being surrounded by crazy bar applicants. I really didn't want to hear anyone recount the questions or dwell on their responses. Because she wouldn't accept money, I made a deal with her that she would choose the restaurant for dinner each night, and I would pay. Her recommendations were great, and we feasted at some great local places, including a local place that served fantastic salads and sandwiches, an upscale Italian restaurant and a local grill. She has excellent taste (I highly recommend you visit her blog: http://rachaelrayblog.blogspot.com/ - additional links to other blogs to which she contributes are on this site).

The best of all of our meals was where my friend chose after the third and final day of the bar exam: 33rd Street Bistro (at 3301 Folsom Blvd., 916.455.2233, http://www.33rdstreetbistro.com/home.html). I almost don't want to write about it because I know she still goes there and I don't want her to have to wait for a table. But alas, it was that good. She suggested that we order a warm goat cheese and sundried tomato pesto appetizer, which was served with sliced baguette. It was so darned good. Because it's so simple but so exceptional, I often make it for cocktail parties, potlucks, holiday dinners and even at tailgates. Every time I do, I think of her and how enjoyable she made taking the bar exam for me. We ordered a number of other things, including chicken and pasta, and those were very good, as well. 33rd Street Bistro simply couldn't disappoint. Next time I find myself in the area, I will definitely have to make my way there again.